Jaw pain is something that many patients suffer from without knowing what can be done, if anything, to resolve the pain. Additionally, many patients clench or grind their teeth at night. This creates tooth, head and neck pain and some people don’t even realize they are doing it. Night guards are often the solution patients are looking for.
What is a Night Guard?
A night guard is an acrylic splint that is custom made to align your jaw in the ideal bite. In doing this, jaw pain is alleviated, and your teeth are protected at night from clenching and grinding. By having a night guard in place, when a patient clenches and grinds, their jaw is in the ideal bite preventing injury.
What is the benefit of a Night Guard?
A night guard typically can:
- Alleviate jaw pain
- Alleviate headaches
- Alleviate neck pain
- Alleviate sore teeth
- Prevent further wear on teeth
- Additionally, studies report that patients with night guards actually sleep better.
How is a Night Guard made?
- After a night guard has been recommended as treatment for you, impressions are taken to ensure we have a custom-made night guard for you.
- After impressions have been taken, the impressions are sent to a lab that uses high quality acrylic to make your night guard.
- Two weeks after the impressions are taken, you come to our office to have the night guard adjusted to your bite.
- Two weeks after seating your night guard, we have you come in for a follow-up appointment to ensure that the night guard is comfortable and serving its purpose.