How do Digital X-rays Differ from Traditional X-rays?
- A sensor instead of traditional film with cardboard is placed in your mouth to bite on.
- Furthermore, the amount of radiation required with digital x-rays is substantially less than with traditional films.
- With digital x-rays, you get higher resolution x-rays allowing for better diagnosis, more comfortable process, and less radiation creating an overall better experience for our patients.
Why are X-rays Necessary or Are They?
At Sloan’s Lake Dental, we value quality and thoroughness. A professional dental cleaning includes radiographs to evaluate the presence of dental decay and to evaluate the level of bone surrounding each tooth. Radiographs are extremely important in diagnosing early signs of disease. X-rays are absolutely necessary to be able to offer you the best dental healthcare. We value prevention over restorations when possible.
What is Periodontal Charting and Why Do I Need It?
Periodontal charting will be completed to further evaluate the gum tissues after digital x-rays are taken. Periodontal charting is crucial in classifying health or disease. This charting allows the clinician to diagnose and treat existing conditions and also determines the type of cleaning a patient may need.
What can I expect when I receive my dental cleaning?
- Upon coming to the dental office, we will take your digital x-rays, typically performed once a year.
- Afterwards, your blood pressure will be taken to ensure you are in a healthy state to have dental treatment performed.
- Periodontal charting will be completed to measure the health of your gums, followed by a thorough, pleasant cleaning.
- Lastly, Dr. Sage Pollack will do an oral cancer screening, evaluate the TMJ, teeth, tissues, and recommend any necessary treatment to maintain oral health.